Tuesday, October 9, 2012

Light a Candle

It is amazing how God works in our lives.  Last night, I experienced him at work.  I arrived at dance, ready to teach my cloggers.  The studio owner, and my dear friend, walks by me and I noticed her adorable scarf that she was wearing.  I instantly told her how much I loved it.  Her response?  She didn't just simply say thanks and continue on with her business.  She took the scarf from around her neck and gave it to me.  It was such a simple act that meant so much.  It really made me think.  Would I ever just give someone something off of my back?  She is such an amazing person, and I let her know how much it meant to me later that night.  She responded back and mentioned that she lives by this verse:  "Therefore encourage one another and build each other up, just as in fact you are doing." -1 Thessalonians 5:11.  After I read it, I just stared at the screen for awhile.  Why?  Because that was my cloggers' weekly Bible verse that I chose for this week.  Neat, huh?  I later was browsing Pinterest and came across the quote below:  "A candle loses nothing by lighting another candle."  The quote fit perfectly with the verse.  When you encourage someone else, or build someone up, whether it be by giving out a compliment, smiling at a stranger, or even giving someone a scarf from around your neck, you are spreading your own light by lighting another candle.  And the result?  You lose nothing.  In fact, you gain everything.  So, this Halloween, when you see a jack-o-lantern glowing in the darkness from the candle that is lit inside of it, remember what you have the power to do with your own light.  As I watched one of my favorite Halloween shows last night, Halloweentown, I watched Marnie light the great pumpkin at the end of the movie in order to ward out the evil in the town.  What was the result of her lighting the pumpkin?  She unfroze all of the people of the town that had been affected by the evil spirit.  She made Halloweentown a better place, by simply making a move, and spreading the light.  Will you light someone's candle this Halloween? :)



4 comments:

  1. Yesterday I started a 'compliment club' with another lady from work. Everyday we give the other 2 compliments. I feel better knowing I'm being kinder and more loving to others. I also made a pact with her that if we complained we'd have to do 10 squats! I did so many squats today my butt hurts and it keeps me in check with how often I complain. Praying that God brings more love and happiness into my heart and the ability to see the best in every situation instead of complaining about things I can't change. I hope many people light your candle this year xxxxx

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I love the compliment club idea! How encouraging! I love the squat idea too. I need to do something like this, because I find myself complaining ALOT. And making yourself do squats is great, because it's exercise! Thanks for sharing! xoxoxo

      Delete
  2. Giving such small things to people makes a huge diffeence. Last week an old lady dropped her yoghurt in the supermarket and it spilled all over the floor. I cleaned it up for her and she expressed her thanks many times. In Germany there's a 25 cent deposit on plastic bottles. So poor people sometimes collect them to hand them back at the supermarket. So, later when I saw a stranger checking bins for bottles I gave him my empty one. He gave me such a big smile. To me this was worth a lot more than 25 cents.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It sure is :) Money doesn't compare to the feeling you get when you help people. You sound like a lovely lady :) Thanks for stopping by! xoxo

      Delete

Thanks for warming my heart and brightening my day :)