Thursday, July 5, 2012

Anger

I'm sure that you have all felt like the girl in this picture.  Furious beyond belief.  Someone pushed your buttons.  Steam feels like it is pouring out of your ears.  You feel a huge knot of energy in your stomach that is on the verge of exploding.  You want to scream.  Your chest is tight.  It takes every ounce of your energy to not explode into a million pieces.  ANGER. 

When someone says something bad about me, my family, or friends, I get upset.  I want so badly to say something back to them.  I want to prove them wrong.  I want to WIN.  It's always about winning, isn't it?  This whole world is obsessed with competition.  When we get in arguments because of anger, each person is out to WIN the argument. 

Although it is so very tempting to try to prevail over the other person in an argument, it is so detrimental to you and the other person.  I have really learned this over the past year.  Instead of trying to win the argument, it is best to just humble yourself and kill the other person with kindness.  To step back, take a breather.  To shut your mouth.  And oh, that is so very hard to do when you are filled with downright rage.  BUT, anger has got to be dealt with in that way.  When anger is not dealt with properly, it is a very bad thing.  It HURTS people, badly. 

Stop being angry! Turn from your rage! Do not lose your temper-it only leads to harm. -Psalm 37:8

A hot-tempered person starts fights; a cool tempered person stops them. -Proverbs 15:18

An angry person starts fights; a hot-tempered person commits all kinds of sin. -Proverbs 29:22

People with understanding control their anger; a hot temper shows great foolishness. -Proverbs 14:29

Sensible people control their temper; they earn respect by overlooking wrongs. -Proverbs 19:11

Understand this, my dear brothers and sisters: You must all be quick to listen, slow to speak, and slow to get angry. Human anger does not produce the righteousness God desires. -James 1:19-20

And "don't sin by letting anger control you." Don't let the sun go down while you are still angry, for anger gives a foothold to the devil. -Ephesians 4:26-27

Control your temper, for anger labels you a fool. -Ecclesiastes 7:9

(Bible Gateway)

There you have it.  When anger is not dealt with properly, it leads to fights.  It leads to harm.  It leads to sin. 


Do you want to be labeled a FOOL? 
Ya, me neither.

4 comments:

  1. Wow, that was a great post, loved reading it :)
    -Stef
    traintostyle.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you so much for the sweet comment! Made my day :)

      Delete
  2. That girl is so me sometimes! I don't wanna be foolish! Thanks for helping me keep my emotions in check :) xx

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for warming my heart and brightening my day :)