Tuesday, February 7, 2012

Healthy(er) Living: Part 2: Tips to Cutting out Sugar

Sugar, sugar, sugar.  It is found EVERYWHERE!  Therefore, people (myself, included) become easily addicted to it.  As we all know, sugar is VERY unhealthy.  In fact, if you want to lose weight, especially belly fat, you need to cut out the sugar and carbs...not count calories.  I'm not a fan of fad diets, but there is one out there called "The Belly Fat Cure" by Jorge Cruise that I have seen work.  He emphasizes the importance of controlling sugar and carb intake.  My brother-in-law went on this diet and dropped pounds easily.  He enjoyed the diet because he was allowed to eat all the meat that he wanted.  All he had to do was cut out sugar and count carbs.  For more information on this diet, go here

Anways, there is no possible way that I can cut out all sugar out of my diet.  I mean, I really could if I wanted to, but I don't necessarily want to :).  So...I have been trying to simply decrease my sugar intake.  If you really enjoy sweets like I do, but want to cut some of the sugar out of your diet, here are various methods that I have been using:

1.  Drink sugar...natural sugar, that is.  Quit drinking pop.  Plain and simple.  Pop has around 40 grams of sugar per can.  Yuck.  I have managed to quit drinking pop on the weekdays.  On the weekend, I might reward myself and have one or two.  Instead of drinking pop, I have been drinking water flavored with fruit.  I can not drink plain water with a meal.  I need some kind of flavor with my food.  So, I have been adding a slice of lemon to my water.  I have also been eating grapes with my meal.  It gives me that sweet taste that I am so used to having, but it is way healthier.  Fruits contain natural sugars. 

2.  Eat dessert...healthy(er) dessert, that is.  I always need a little something sweet after meals.  So, I have been trying to look for not-so-guilty desserts that I can eat.  I frequently buy Hershey's Sugar-Free Special Dark chocolate.  Dark chocolate is very good for you.  This particular brand does not contain sugar...or aspartame.  Aspartame is the unhealthy, possibly cancer-causing, artificial sweetener that is found in many diet products.  Anways...this chocolate is Yumm-o! 

In addition to dark chocolate, I have also been eating a graham cracker after meals.  Graham crackers contain far less sugar than some other "desserts."  This past Sunday, I tried making some healthy(er) bite-sized desserts for the Superbowl.  I ended up making these S'more Cups.  I cut out the powdered sugar and used Hershey's Sugar-Free Special Dark chocolate.  The recipe can be found here.
I also made these PB Banana Bites.  I used the same dark chocolate for these.  If you use this chocolate, make sure to keep these frozen at all times, or the chocolate will melt right off.  The recipe can be found here.
So, I have been enjoying treats like these lately, that contain less sugar than what I'm used to eating.  Now don't get me wrong, I LOVE to bake.  Therefore, I will be sure to treat myself now and again.  (I plan on making some dulce de leche cake soon!). 

3.  Eat cereal, healthy(er) cereal, that is.  I love cereal.  Cereal can have alot of hidden sugar in it, though.  I have been eating two cereals that contain less sugar and are healthier than alot of cereals.  I love Honey Bunches of Oats and Peanut Butter Multigrain Cheerios.  Yummm.

So, altogether, I hope these tips helped.  All in all, just look for hidden sugar, and pick the healthy(er)option.  More tips to come!

1 comment:

  1. I was inspired by you to add lime to my water yesterday. THEN that night, I definitely got a sweet tea from mickey d's. No sugar in that? Right?:)

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for warming my heart and brightening my day :)