Saturday, February 4, 2012

Healthy(er) Living: Part 1: Tuna/Salmon Loaf and Pasta Shells Florentine

My boyfriend and I are going to Myrtle Beach in June with his family.  We decided that it is time for us to start getting in shape and eating healthier.  Before I met Ryan, I was doing a fantastic job.  I was cutting sugar out of my diet and exercising multiple times a week.  Then, I started dating him, got comfortable, and alot of my healthy ways went out the window.  Well, I have now started up again and hopefully will stick with it.  I do not plan on turning into a fitness fanatic or vegan eater (come on, let's be realistic), but I do plan on exercising on a regular basis and cleaning up my diet.  I thought I would start a series called: Healthy(er) Living to document my progress.  Today, I am sharing a couple of recipes Ryan and I have made in an attempt to eat healthier. 
Tuna/Salmon Loaf Patties

Ingredients:
10 oz. canned tuna or salmon
1/2 cup crushed saltine crackers
1/4 cup chopped onion
1/4 cup cream of mushroom soup
1 tablespoon olive oil
1 egg

Directions:
1.  Mix all ingredients together in a mixing bowl. 
2.  Form patties out of the mixture.
3.  Put a tablespoon of olive oil in a frying pan.
4.  Fry each patty until crispy and golden brown, flipping regularly.  About 5 minutes.

Notes:  If you like meatloaf, you will love this recipe.  It is simply a healthier version of meatloaf!  You can serve the patty on a wheat bun or wheat bread.  (It is healthier without the bread.)
Pasta Shells Florentine
Recipe found here.
Notes:  I chose not to use the nutmeg in my version.  Also, I reccomend using only 1 T italian seasoning and adding one or two cloves of fresh garlic. 

No comments:

Post a Comment

Thanks for warming my heart and brightening my day :)